- Utilities & Services
- Reduced Utility Rates - Low Income Program for Senior Citizens and Disabled Citizens
Reduced Utility Rates - Low Income Program for Senior Citizens and Disabled Citizens
Applications are due Annually
Reduced utility base rates charged for water, sewer, stormwater and refuse services are available for low-income senior citizens and disabled citizens as defined in FHMC Chapter 13.32. Base fees are reduced by 50% for any person who is eligible and been approved through the application process. Consumption charges are not eligible for a reduction. Applications must be filed annually. Renewal reminders will be sent to applicants during the first quarter of the year.
1) Must be 62 years of age or older – OR – a disabled citizen (disability benefits must be for 12 or more consecutive months).
2) The residential dwelling shall be the applicant’s principal place of residence. The applicant may be the owner, contract purchaser, or lessee.
3) Residential dwelling must be connected to utilities provided by the Town.
4) Residential dwelling must be individually serviced by a single water meter.
5) The applicant must be responsible for payment of utility services.
6) Annual household income may not exceed 50% of the Average Median Income for Friday Harbor. The 2021 median income is $57,885; program limit is currently $28,942.50 or less.
Exceptions and Limitations:
Base Rate Reductions are not available for the following:
A. To any person who resides in federally subsidized housing.
B. To any low in come disabled citizen scheduled to receive disability benefits for less than 12 consecutive months.
C. A base rate reduction shall not be available to more than one person per household and no person may claim more than one residential dwelling unit during the same billing period.
Any person wishing to establish their eligibility for the base rate reduction shall submit an application with required documentation to the Finance Director.
Base rate reductions are in effect from the billing month it is accepted through approximately April of the next year. Eligibility may be re-established through the renewal process that occurs before Tax Day. Renewal applications require the same proof of income as the initial application process and proof of disability (if applicable).
If applying as a senior citizen, proof of age is required for the initial application. If applying as a disabled citizen, proof of disability status is required for initial application and all renewal applications.
Proof of income is required for all applications. Documents required for the application process include:
• Prior year’s income tax form 1040 – OR – • Social Security Statement AND
• (3) Bank Statements
How to Submit Application and Documentation:
• In Person: Town Hall, Finance Office, 60 Second St, Friday Harbor, WA 98250
• Mail: PO Box 219, Friday Harbor, WA 98250
• Fax: (360) 378-2380