Historic Preservation is part of the Town's Community Development & Planning Department. The Historic Preservation Review Board, inventory of historic sites, historic preservation overlay district, historic preservation technical manual, and incentive programs to encourage historic preservation are administered per Friday Harbor Municipal Code (FHMC) Chapter 17.64.
Historic Preservation Overlay District - Map
HPRB Review Process
The Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) meets twice a month on the second and fourth Wednesday. To get your project on the HPRB Agenda we must receive 7 (seven) sets of the materials outlined below, on 8.5”x 11” paper, no later than noon on Tuesday, the week preceding the HPRB meeting.
In order to provide help with design solutions and offer informed recommendations to applicants during the review process, the Historic Preservation Review Board (HPRB) relies upon the following applicant information:
- A comprehensive written description of the proposed modifications to the existing building or of the proposed new construction including scope of work, materials, areas of demolition/new construction, etc.
- A site plan to scale that indicates the dimensions of the lot, the location of existing buildings, and the location of additions or new buildings. Also to be indicated: parking, signs, fencing, & landscaping.
- A plan to scale showing elevations, and section drawings. Drawings should include materials to be used, window design, signs, exterior lighting with keyed dimensions.
- Detailed drawings of new or altered architectural features and trim.
- A description or sample of new exterior materials to be used, including the types of windows, roofing, and siding. Product pamphlets describing the materials/products you propose to use can be obtained from the product vendor and/or from their websites online.
- Photographs: When the HPRB is reviewing projects within the Historic District, it is helpful to have photographs of applicable buildings, sites, and streetscapes. Applicants are encouraged to include vintage or contemporary photographs that illustrate what you are proposing. Look around Friday Harbor, can you find examples of similar features that will demonstrate your concept?
Click here for the HPRB Review Application - No application fee.