Refuse & Recycling
Program Information & Rules
Click on the appropriate tab below for information on programs offered.
What is the Plastic Film Recycling Pilot Program?
The Town of Friday Harbor partnered with SC Johnson to provide a plastic film recycling program. This is a one-year pilot program. Want to learn more about Piloting Curbside Recycling?
Visit SC Johnson Stories.
Single-Family and Multi-Family residences within Town limits only.
October 27, 2021 - September 28, 2022
Forth Wednesday of Every Month
Pricing & Container Information
- Plastic Film Bins will be provided for all eligible residences prior to the start of this program
How to Participate
- Put clean and dry plastic bags and plastic film inside a plastic bag.
- When it is about the size of a soccer ball, tie the top of the outer bag in a knot.
- Put your bag of bags in your provided plastic film recycling bin.
- Place your provided plastic film recycling bin next to your curbside pick-up location by 9:00am.
Materials Accepted in Your Plastic Film Only Bin
- Bread Bags
- Grocery Bags
- Dry Cleaning bags
- Produce Bags
- Plastic Newspaper Wrapping
- Food Storage Bags (including Ziploc®)
- Plastic Wraps (around multi-packs of drink bottles, paper towels, diapers, etc.)
- Bubble Wrap/Air Pillows (popped)
- Plastic Lining from Cereal Boxes
- Plastic Shipping Envelopes (Remove Labeling)
Plastic Film Recycle Service DOES NOT Include
- Multi-Layer Film (chip bags, pet food bags, etc.)
- Aerosol Cans
- Waxed Paper Containers
- Polystyrene or Foam Containers
- Paper Towels and Napkins
- Food-Soiled Paper and Cardboard
- Feminine Products
- Biodegradable or Compostable Bags
- Pre-washed Salad Mix Bags
- Candy Wrappers
For more information or questions about Plastic Film Recycle service please call 360-378-2810.
Weekly Assigned Refuse Day
Pricing per Container Pickup
- 32 gallon - Can: $8.00
- 1 cu yard - Small Dumpster: $50.00
- 1.5 cu yard - Medium Dumpster: $75.00
- 2 cu yard - Large Dumpster: $100.00
- Construction Debris is not allowed but will be charged a $25.00 Additional Fee if in containers.
Cans - All Customer Types
- Service address must be on all cans
- Refuse cans must be 32 gallons or less
- Cans must not weigh more than 45 pounds
- Cans must have a close-fitting lid
- Refuse cans must be located curbside on pickup days unless prior arrangements have been made
- Residential cans must be out by 9:00am on pickup days
Dumpsters - MFR/COM/PA/IND/LMF Customers Only
- Dumpsters must be accessible for pickup
- Dumpster must be located on a concrete pad or an asphalt surface
- If dumpster is enclosed by a fence, a clearance of 2 feet on each side of the dumpster is required
- Area around dumpster must be kept clean
- An overflowing container is defined as a can where the lid does not fit securely in place or a dumpster where the lid is not flat
- Overflowing containers will be picked up at the discretion of the refuse truck driver
- Additional charges may be assessed accordingly
Refuse Service DOES NOT Include
- Appliances and electronics
- Construction debris, bricks, rocks, concrete blocks, etc.
- Flammable, explosive, or hazardous materials (including liquid waste): batteries, fluorescent lights, aerosol cans, pesticides, fertilizer, asbestos, pressurized gas cylinders, propane tanks, ammunition, paint, solvents, oils, fuels, antifreeze, household or commercial chemicals
- Heavy/bulky items: mattresses, couches, etc.
- Plumbing fixtures
- Wood or metal pipe over 2 feet in length
For more information or questions about trash service please call 360-378-2810.
1st & 3rd Weeks on Assigned Refuse Day
- Single-Family Residential Homes
- Multi-Family Residential Homes with up to four (4) units
Things to Remember
- Containers must be labeled with service address and RECYCLE. Stop by Town Hall to pick up labels free of charge.
- Remove all plastic bags
- Remove all lids on recyclables
- Rinse jars and cans
- Only clean cardboard
Due to recent changes in how recycling is transported locally and regionally, please pay special attention to recycling rules. The Town will only accept this list of clean recyclables.
- Aluminum, steel, or tin cans
- Aluminum foil and foil trays
- Cardboard (packaging, pizza boxes)
- Computer paper
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- Magazines, books, catalogs, newspapers, phone books
- Mail (window envelopes, store ads)
- Milk cartons and juice boxes
- Paper food boxes/frozen food boxes
- Paper towels, plates, or napkins,
- Plastic jars, bottles, jugs, yogurt cups, sour cream containers
- Scrap metal (clean and without plastic, limit 2x2 feet and 35 pounds)
- Shredded paper (in paper bags)
Recycle Services DOES NOT Include:
- Aerosol cans & toxic containers (oils, antifreeze, pesticides, herbicides)
- Ceramics or dishes
- Dirt, soil, concrete
- Disposable diapers or rags
- Food, liquid waste, or compost
- Light bulbs
- Medical waste (needles, syringes, prescription vials)
- Mirrors or window glass
- Paint or paint cans
- Plastic bags, shrink wrap, cellophane
- Styrofoam, packing peanuts, etc.
To sign-up for recycling, contact the Finance Department to request a change in utility services. The Town will add this service to the customer's utility services.
For more information or questions about recycle service please call Town Hall at 360-378-2810.
For more information on the benefits of recycling, visit the Department of Ecology's RECYCLING RIGHT MATTERS.
- The 4th Thursday each month, December through March
- The 2nd and 4th Thursdays each month, April through November
Approved Receptacles Include
- Cans with handles and lids (32 gallon, 65 pound limit)
- Reusable poly-woven or paper yard waste bags
- Bundles - 3 by 2 by 2 foot limit
- No plastic bags or plastic twine
Things to Remember
- Containers must be labeled with service address and YARD WASTE.
- Remove all plastic bags and twine.
Acceptable Yard Waste Include
- Grass clippings
- Prunings (no bigger than 3 inches in diameter and 36 inches long)
- Weeds (please remove as much dirt as possible)
Not Yard Waste
- Animal waste
- Household garbage
- Oversized branches
For more information or to sign up for yard waste service please call 360-378-2810.
Visit the SJC Hazardous Waste Department for updated information on hazardous waste recycling.
These items can be toxic to marine and freshwater animals and plants. Please keep them out of our waters - do not flush or dump down drains!
- Motor Oil
- Oil-Based Paints and Stains (Dry out latex paint and put in garbage)
- Solvents/paint thinners
- Waste Pesticides
Updated disposal schedules are posted on the SJC Hazardous Waste Department website.