Refuse & Recycling
Who is eligible?
Town customers - all residents and businesses - are eligible for refuse pickup.
Town is not equipped to extend recycling and other special programs to multi-family and commercial accounts at this time. Other carriers, such as Lautenbach Recycling, are available. See program information and rules below.
What's My Schedule?
Program Information & Rules
Click on the appropriate tab below for more information.
Printable FAQs & Flyers
What is the Plastic Film Recycling Pilot Program?
In 2021, the Town and SC Johnson Company, a manufacturer of household brands, launched a one-year pilot study to offer curbside collection and recycling of plastic film to Friday Harbor residents. That program ended this October 2022. Overall, the study was a success! The data offered SC Johnson Company insight on ways to put recyclable materials (not accepted in the “blue bin”) back into the economy where they have the most benefit.
The Town and Lautenbach Recycling have now partnered to continue with the Plastic Film Recycling Program because of the overwhelming support shown by Town residents this past year.
Every single-family residence that currently receives garbage can pick-up is eligible to participate. Residents that choose to participate should continue recycling clean and dry plastic bags, plastic storage bags such as Ziploc® brand bags, plastic grocery and produce bags, dry cleaning bags, and other flexible plastic film by placing it in the “Plastic Film Only” recycling bin provided by the Town earlier this year. There is no additional charge for this service. If you do not have a bin or want to sign up for garbage pick-up, please call (360) 378-2810.
The 4th Wednesday of every month.
Pricing & Container Information
- Plastic film bins are available. Contact Town Hall if you did not receive yours.
How to Participate
- Put clean and dry plastic bags and plastic film inside a plastic bag.
- When it is about the size of a soccer ball, tie the top of the outer bag in a knot.
- Put your bag of bags in your provided plastic film recycling bin.
- Place your provided plastic film recycling bin at your curbside pick-up location by 9:00 a.m.
Materials Accepted in Your Plastic Film Only Bin
(All items must be clean and dry)
- Bread bags
- Grocery bags
- Dry cleaning bags
- Produce bags
- Plastic newspaper wrapping
- Food storage bags (including Ziploc®)
- Plastic wraps around multi-packs of drink bottles, paper towels, diapers, etc.
- Bubble wrap/air pillows (popped)
- Plastic lining from cereal boxes
- Plastic shipping envelopes (remove labeling)
Plastic Film Recycle Service DOES NOT Include
- Multi-layer film (chip bags, pet food bags, etc.)
- Pre-washed salad mix bags
- Candy wrappers
- Waxed paper containers
- Polystyrene or foam containers
- Paper towels and napkins
- Food-soiled paper and cardboard
- Feminine products
- Biodegradable or compostable bags
- Aerosol cans
For more information or questions about our Plastic Film Recycle service, please call 360-378-2810.
Weekly Assigned Refuse Day
Pricing per Container Pickup
- 32 gallon - Can: $8.00
- 1 cu yard - Small Dumpster: $50.00
- 1.5 cu yard - Medium Dumpster: $75.00
- 2 cu yard - Large Dumpster: $100.00
- Construction Debris is not allowed but will be charged a $25.00 Additional Fee if in containers.
Cans - All Customer Types
- Service address must be on all cans
- Refuse cans must be 32 gallons or less
- Cans must not weigh more than 45 pounds
- Cans must have a close-fitting lid
- Refuse cans must be located curbside on pickup days unless prior arrangements have been made
- Residential cans must be out by 9:00am on pickup days
Dumpsters - MFR/COM/PA/IND/LMF Customers Only
- Dumpsters must be accessible for pickup
- Dumpster must be located on a concrete pad or an asphalt surface
- If dumpster is enclosed by a fence, a clearance of 2 feet on each side of the dumpster is required
- Area around dumpster must be kept clean
- An overflowing container is defined as a can where the lid does not fit securely in place or a dumpster where the lid is not flat
- Overflowing containers will be picked up at the discretion of the refuse truck driver
- Additional charges may be assessed accordingly
Refuse Service DOES NOT Include
- Appliances and electronics
- Construction debris, bricks, rocks, concrete blocks, etc.
- Flammable, explosive, or hazardous materials (including liquid waste): batteries, fluorescent lights, aerosol cans, pesticides, fertilizer, asbestos, pressurized gas cylinders, propane tanks, ammunition, paint, solvents, oils, fuels, antifreeze, household or commercial chemicals
- Heavy/bulky items: mattresses, couches, etc.
- Plumbing fixtures
- Wood or metal pipe over 2 feet in length
For more information or questions about trash service please call 360-378-2810.
1st & 3rd Weeks on Assigned Refuse Day
- Single-Family Residential Homes
- Multi-Family Residential Homes with up to four (4) units
Things to Remember
- Containers must be labeled with service address and RECYCLE. Stop by Town Hall to pick up labels free of charge.
- Remove all plastic bags
- Remove all lids on recyclables
- Rinse jars and cans
- Only clean cardboard
Due to recent changes in how recycling is transported locally and regionally, please pay special attention to recycling rules. The Town will only accept this list of clean recyclables.
- Aluminum, steel, or tin cans
- Aluminum foil and foil trays
- Cardboard (packaging, pizza boxes)
- Computer paper
- Glass bottles and jars (any color)
- Magazines, books, catalogs, newspapers, phone books
- Mail (window envelopes, store ads)
- Milk cartons and juice boxes
- Paper food boxes/frozen food boxes
- Paper towels, plates, or napkins,
- Plastic jars, bottles, jugs, yogurt cups, sour cream containers
- Scrap metal (clean and without plastic, limit 2x2 feet and 35 pounds)
- Shredded paper (in paper bags)
Recycle Services DOES NOT Include:
- Aerosol cans & toxic containers (oils, antifreeze, pesticides, herbicides)
- Ceramics or dishes
- Dirt, soil, concrete
- Disposable diapers or rags
- Food, liquid waste, or compost
- Light bulbs
- Medical waste (needles, syringes, prescription vials)
- Mirrors or window glass
- Paint or paint cans
- Plastic bags, shrink wrap, cellophane
- Styrofoam, packing peanuts, etc.
To sign-up for recycling, contact the Finance Department to request a change in utility services. The Town will add this service to the customer's utility services.
For more information or questions about recycle service please call Town Hall at 360-378-2810.
For more information on the benefits of recycling, visit the Department of Ecology's RECYCLING RIGHT MATTERS.
- The 4th Thursday each month, December through March
- The 2nd and 4th Thursdays each month, April through November
Approved Receptacles Include
- Cans with handles and lids (32 gallon, 65 pound limit)
- Reusable poly-woven or paper yard waste bags
- Bundles - 3 by 2 by 2 foot limit
- No plastic bags or plastic twine
Things to Remember
- Containers must be labeled with service address and YARD WASTE.
- Remove all plastic bags and twine.
Acceptable Yard Waste Include
- Grass clippings
- Prunings (no bigger than 3 inches in diameter and 36 inches long)
- Weeds (please remove as much dirt as possible)
Not Yard Waste
- Animal waste
- Household garbage
- Oversized branches
For more information or to sign up for yard waste service please call 360-378-2810.
Visit the SJC Hazardous Waste Department for updated information on hazardous waste recycling.
These items can be toxic to marine and freshwater animals and plants. Please keep them out of our waters - do not flush or dump down drains!
- Motor Oil
- Oil-Based Paints and Stains (Dry out latex paint and put in garbage)
- Solvents/paint thinners
- Waste Pesticides
Updated disposal schedules are posted on the SJC Hazardous Waste Department website.